DOLE SPES to employ 5,566 students in Western Visayas

Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is eyeing to give jobs to some 5,566 poor but deserving students from Western Visayas under their Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES).

SPES program is made available by the department in partnership with local government units (LGUs) and private establishments.

Niezel Anen T. Sabrido, DOLE 6 (Western Visayas) information officer, said that to date they already have placed 196 students — 181 in Capiz and 15 in Iloilo.



“All our field offices have also conducted pledging sessions and related activities to make sure that the target is met before the semester and the year ends,” she said.

SPES is an employment bridging program during summer and Christmas vacation to augment the family income of poor but deserving students, out-of-school youths, and dependents of displaced or would-be displaced workers who want to finish their education.

For those employed in government offices, they are usually tasked to assist in office works.

The number of days that they have to render duty varies although it usually lasts from 20 to 52 days. The DOLE pays 40 percent of their salary while the employer pays for the remaining 60 percent based on the prevailing minimum wage.

This year, DOLE has allotted about PHP20 million for its counterpart in the program, Sabrido said.

“We are now starting because we have an exemption from the Comelec (Commission on Elections) for the implementation of the program this election season,” she added.

Last year, DOLE-6 was able to place 11,602 students, Sabrido said.

Those who are interested to apply are encouraged to check with the nearest Public Employment Service Office. They may bring with them a photocopy of the Philippine Statistics Authority birth certificate, their latest report card, 2×2 ID picture, and certificate of indigency from their barangays. (By Perla Lena, PNA)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: